Monday, August 31, 2009

Day 44 August 31, 2009

This past week was a very difficult one. We lost one of our most influential senators and a good person who "walked the walk" when Ted Kennedy passed away on Aug. 25th after he lost his battle with brain cancer. I know he had many flaws (don't we all), but he not only cared about and treated well those who agreed with him, he also was respectful of and friendly with those who held different opinions than his. Most of his colleagues truly cared about him, enjoyed his company and listened thoughtfully to what he had to say. Having grown up in the "Kennedy Era" and of course feeling connected to them by way of sharing the same birthday as Caroline, I have always held a fascination for our American Royal Family. There have always been political Kennedys in my life and though some of the young ones are still active, the world just seems an emptier place without one of the "brothers" living in it...

I am still trying to adjust to not talking to you. I thought it would get better, but so far it has gotten worse instead. It is just so weird. I wonder how you are every day and whether you have gotten all of your things, including all of the mail and boxes we have sent. I suppose this is a good time to cultivate that thing that I have never been good at-accepting that I am not always in control and dealing with it! Another thing I think about is how much you will change over this year and how different you will be when you get back. It will almost be like you are a new person. So I think about that too and wonder how that will be for all of us. Mostly though I am lonely for your company. Even when you were at school or in South Africa I could count on talking to you at intervals and I now have to wait and wonder. In fact, I still don't know for sure if you are even on Namdrik yet and I suppose I won't know until we receive some confirmation from you by mail at some point in the future. I do trust that things are well with you though and I have faith that you are with caring people and that you are happy.

I wish I could remember when school was supposed to start. It must be soon and I wish you good luck as you prepare to start teaching. I know you will be a wonderful teacher and I hope you enjoy your students. People always ask what you are doing and how you are. They are very amazed and proud of you when I tell them; of course I always have to explain where exactly the Marshall Island are and how you came to go there. : )

More later...Love you more! Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment